- Triennial programme
- Who Is in this Group?
- Newsletter & Activities
- Biocides in Collections
- Abstracts - Past Triennials
- Useful Links
- Thangka Forum: Proceedings
- Adhesive Treatments: Leather
View this Working Group's...
< back to working groups
Objects from Indigenous and World Cultures Working Group
Triennial Programme 2014-2017
Working Group Activities and Projects 2014–2017:
- Discussions with the membership and Directory Board to decide the name-change proposal.
- Publication of annual issues of the Working Group Newsletter.
- Follow up on research of biocides in collections and update the Working Group’s Biocides webpage.
- Partnerships to build capacities in places without formal conservation training (possible partners being discussed).
Specific themes of research /investigations
The Working Group will investigate, research, and report on the following areas of interest. Many of the items may be explored concurrently.
A. Materials science, deterioration and conservation
- Investigation/ technical study of objects, object materials and production methods
- Deterioration of materials found in objects
- Conservation case studies
- Exhibition and display methods
B. Ethics, values and decision-making
- Decision-making processes and preservation rationales
- Collaborations with diverse interest groups and assessments of their impact in conservation decision-making
- Reviews of historic practices in the preservation of ethnographic collections
- Socio-political responsibilities, including continuing developments within international indigenous rights forums e.g. 2007 United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP)
- Local systems of knowledge and their roles in conservation