- Triennial programme
- UPHOLSTERY+ Joint Interim Meeting, Krakow 2007
- DEMHIST / ICOM-CC Joint Interim Meeting 2012: The Artifact, Its Context and Their Narrative
- Multidisciplinary Conservation: A Holistic View For Historic Interiors
- Heritage Wood: Research & Conservation in the 21st Century
View this Working Group's...
< back to working groups
Wood, Furniture, and Lacquer Working Group
Triennial Programme 2014-2017
In the triennial period 2014-2017 the ICOM-CC Wood, Furniture, and Lacquer Working Group will continue to be guided by three major aims: to promote the exchange of information and communication amongst people working in diverse areas related to wood, furniture and lacquer conservation, to promote and foster research, and to encourage the highest standards of examination, documentation, and treatment. In addition to achieving these goals within the Working Group, we also aim to collaborate with other ICOM-CC Working Groups and ICOM Committees on relevant topics.
Working Group Activities and Projects 2014-2017:
- Results of a recent survey conducted by the Working Group indicate the great need for Continual Professional Development courses regarding the conservation of wooden artefacts and furniture, especially in areas with limited access to specific training outside of Europe and North America. Topics could include construction, identification of materials, handling/packing/transport issues, the effects of storage and display environments, basic maintenance such as dusting, and pest management. The Working Group is planning to connect institutions or conservators in private practice with experts in the respective fields to help organize conservation workshops.
- In addition, the Working Group is discussing a collaboration with the ICOM International Committee for Museums and Collections of Musical Instruments (CIMCIM).
- In preparation for its 50th anniversary in 2017, ICOM-CC is looking for historic documentation (references, bibliographies of previous published papers, posters, and photographs) related to past Triennial Conferences, Interim Meetings and other ICOM-CC activities. Members as well as former members of the Working Group are encouraged to submit relevant materials, which will be used to celebrate ICOM-CC’s achievements, while simultaneously strengthening its historic archives. A call for this type of ephemera will be placed regularly in the Working Group’s newsletter.
- An Interim Meeting is being planned for Spring 2016 in Potsdam, Germany. The Working Group is investigating collaboration with the Sculpture, Polychromy, and Architectural Decorations Working Group, as well as the German National Conservation Association (VDR) with the aim of covering a broader spectrum of related subjects and disciplines. The intention is to publish the proceedings of this meeting.
- The Wood, Furniture, and Lacquer Working Group session at the 18th ICOM-CC Triennial Conference, Copenhagen, September 2017.
- The Working Group is developing an Interim Meeting in 2018 on the conservation of Asian lacquer and painted furniture, to be held in Vienna, Austria.
- The Working Group would like to enhance its online presence by creating additional features such as a blog and the ability to live-stream events, both to promote the exchange of information, and to improve communication with conservation professionals working within our area of expertise worldwide.
- The Working Group plans to publish a Newsletter three to four times a year and to distribute it electronically to its members. The newsletter will include information on conferences and workshops, updates on ICOM-CC activities, short essays on research projects or recent conservation treatments undertaken by members, new exhibitions, reviews of new books, general announcements and possibly a short feature article on a topic newsworthy to the group. The latter can vary from a specific type of object/material, preservation approach specific to a culture, education needs in an isolated area or country.